Option to Receive Form 1098-T in an Electronic Format
Federal regulation allows those eligible to receive IRS Form 1098-T the option to receive the form in an electronic format instead of through the mail.
In order to exercise this option, eligible recipients must provide consent to receive the form in an electronic format. If you are interested in receiving an
electronic 1098-T, you can provide this consent via the University of California Tax Credit Reporting Service (TCRS) website located at
Please note: If you were a new student Fall Quarter, you will not be able to provide consent to the TCRS until after UCSD
transmits your demographic information to the TCRS early Winter Quarter. (Approximately January 15th.)
Instructions for Electronic Form Delivery
To elect to receive your Form 1098-T in an electronic format, please perform the following:
- Click the Access My Record tab located on the www.1098-T.com. homepage, and log in to your individual account.
- Once logged in, click the link that states, Receive 1098-T Forms Electronically. This link is located next to the Mailing Status indicator.
- After completing step 2, you will be presented with a list that contains the institutions you attended that are participating in providing 1098-T
forms in an electronic format. Although you may have attended other institutions, you will only be able to receive your form(s) electronically from
this list of schools. If there are multiple schools listed, you have the option of providing consent to receive your 1098-T form in an electronic format
from all of the schools on the list or just specific institutions. Please select each institution for which you wish to provide consent to receive your 1098-T
form in an electronic format.
- After schools are selected, you will be asked to provide a valid email address where you will be notified when your 1098-T form is available
online. If TCRS is not able to deliver the email after two attempts, a paper statement will be mailed to you, and consent to receive the form in an
electronic format will be withdrawn.
- After you have completed steps 3 and 4, click Grant Consent to be directed to the required disclosure statement, or click Cancel to return
to your individual record.
- Next you will be required to read and accept the disclosure statement in order to receive your statement in an electronic format. Please review
the disclosure statement, and click either Accept or Cancel. By clicking Accept, you are acknowledging receipt and understanding of the disclosure
statement, and that your 1098-T form will be made available in an electronic format and not mailed. Cancel will return you to your individual record.
- If you consent to receive your 1098-T form in an electronic format, you will receive an email by January 31, indicating that your form
is available online at www.1098-T.com.
Withdrawal of Consent
You may withdraw consent to receive a 1098-T form electronically at any time by furnishing the withdrawal request to email@example.com.
A withdrawal of consent does not apply to a statement that was furnished electronically in the manner described in the disclosure statement
before the withdrawal of consent is furnished.
Questions and Updating Information
Questions relating to the recipient of 1098-T forms electronically should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, recipients should email all updated information for contacting the recipient to email@example.com.
Request for Paper Statement
If you consented to receive the 1098-T form in an electronic format and you subsequently want to request a paper copy,
email the request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once consent is provided, it is important to note that TCRS will not be emailing Form 1098-T, but will be sending an email to you notifying you
that your form(s) are available for viewing online at www.1098-T.com.